I'm a notorious procrastinator. Can I really stick to the project? Can I post one photo a day for 365 days? The pressure is almost unbearable.

(I DID IT! I stuck to the original project and in 2010 I took two photographs every day, for two different groups! I'm going to continue to add 365 photos per year to this blog, but they probably will not be taken on consecutive days. That is too much to ask...)




Monday, July 12, 2010

192/365


Mary Dooley O'Connell, originally uploaded by phlegmmy.

Mary Dooley O'Connell
1850-1905 My great grandmother, Cecelia's mother. My father thought this may have been a wedding portrait.

I have started a membership at Ancestry.com and was contacted by a woman who saw my info. The woman in the photo is who we have in common. This is my great grandmother and her step brother is the great grandfather of the woman from Ancestry. We are getting together next week to meet and compare notes. So our great grand parents were step siblings. There is a bit of unsettling family history around these folks, too. Mary Dooley's sister had stepchildren--and according to a written account by a relative, the sister was horrendously cruel to the step children. According to this account, the stepchildren wept with joy when the step mother died. One of these stepchildren ended up marrying one of Mary Dooley's kids. They would have been cousins by marriage, but not by blood. Scandalous. LOL

2 comments:

  1. She looks like a very strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfathers ( mothers father) family is somewhat the same. There are two brothers with different mothers ( somewhat common in the day when women died young)They have a common and rare name which makes all of us in this country related by whole or half.

    ReplyDelete