I'm a notorious procrastinator. Can I really stick to the project? Can I post one photo a day for 365 days? The pressure is almost unbearable.

(I DID IT! I stuck to the original project and in 2010 I took two photographs every day, for two different groups! I'm going to continue to add 365 photos per year to this blog, but they probably will not be taken on consecutive days. That is too much to ask...)




Tuesday, August 10, 2010

221/365 It's been a whole year


221/365 It's been a whole year, originally uploaded by phlegmmy.

Last year at the beginning of August, one of the bull terriers from my flickr group went missing. He was being walked by his owner and they got to an area where he could be safely off leash and she let him go and he simply vanished. She scoured the area for days, called his name, posted flyers, did everything she could. A week passed and we had all but given up hope when some fisherman spotted a white lump along the very steep bank of the nearby river. They assumed it was Alfie's body. Then it moved! It WAS Alfie and he was alive. He had fallen down the embankment but could not get up because the sides at that point were almost vertical. He must have tried valiantly judging from the worn off toenails and scrapes to his underside.

Unfortunately, due to his injuries, he was suffering from peritonitis and after being home for a few days, it was apparent that he was not well and was rushed to the vet, but there was no saving him. He managed to come home to his mum and dad to say goodbye and the bull terrier community around the world went on a roller coaster ride of emotion, between heartsickness at his loss, jubilation at his rescue and devestation at his eventual death. It was what really cemented our group, with members from around the world and it brought us all so much closer.

The one year anniversary was yesterday. It still makes me sad and I never even met Alfie or his owner as they live in the UK.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. That is a sad sad story. I feel so badly for his owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, it still makes me teary. I cried myself into a migraine last year when we found out he had died. His owner did get another bullie but I think Alfie will always be her heart dog.

    ReplyDelete